This has been shown for at least a month now, but I just wanted to pop this in here really quick before it gets any older. Very cool concept, a cooler end product, but ultimately, I’ll probably end up burning it. I guess you can consider this an exercise in creativity and production.
Dedicated to Phillumeny, the Phillu is a matchbox shaped portable memory storage device with matchsticks that have 5 GB storage capacity. Nine sticks in the box, essentially translating to 45 GB collective capacity. The trick is that you really need to light the sticks to transfer the data.
To transfer data by sticks:
- Push the case from behind to choose and pick an available stick.
- Put the stick head at the end of the striker.
- Strike the stick quickly along the striker adding pressure.
- Now the stick turns into burned black match, making it possible to give it to another Phillu owner to share your data without the need of any computer in between.
- Sharing your data with others will be completed after they plug in the stick to their own Phillu.
Now, how the hell am I gonna figure out which stick has which info????
Sure it’ll turn black after striking, but how can you verify the data has been shared? I’d hate to get home, pop the stick into the base, and wallah, no data.
Designers: Emir Rifat ISIK & Burak Kaynak
I guess the way this would be really, really useful is if you had 9 other buddies to share pron and other exotic materials with. Just strike, and you’ve got 5gigs of pure pleasure! Yaaaay.